Ultimate Keto Gravy
We found this recipe by Nom Nom Paleo! If you have meat drippings, it's even better. Use the drippings and add all the ingredients in this recipe apart from the bone broth into a saucepan. Follow the steps below and only use the bone broth if you need to thin the gravy down.
Net Carbs 4.7 grams
Ingredients (makes 6 servings, ~ 1 1/2 cups)
· 2 tbsp real butter
· 1 medium white onion
· 2 cloves garlic
· 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
· 1 tbsp freshly chopped sage or 1 tsp dried sage or any herbs of choice
· 1 tsp lemon zest, use organic unwaxed lemons
· 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
· 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (15 g / 0.5 oz)
· 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut milk
· 2 cups bone broth or chicken stock or vegetable stock
· 1/2 cup water to soak the mushrooms (60 ml / 2 fl oz)
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Add water to the porcini mushrooms and soak for about 30 minutes. Peel and dice the onion and garlic. Chop the sage and zest the lemon.
Add the garlic and onion into a hot pan greased with real butter and cook over a medium heat until translucent. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Add the lemon zest and sage and cook until the onion is golden.
Pour in the bone broth, lemon juice and add the soaked porcini mushrooms with the water.
Add balsamic vinegar and mustard and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until the amount is reduced by about half. Be patient: if you don't reduce it enough, it will end up too thin and watery.
Add the cream and cook for just about 5 minutes. Once done, take off the heat and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Pour in a jar if you used a shallow pan and blend with a hand blender until smooth and creamy. When done, serve immediately with meat, roasted vegetables or keto mashed potatoes or let it cool down and store covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Reheat as needed.